Asylum seeker stabbed six before being shot dead

Glasgow: Police are appealing for witnesses after the incident in West George Street, Glasgow, on Friday, 26 June, 2020.

“Around 12.50pm, officers responded to a report of an incident at the Park Inn Hotel. Officers were on the scene within minutes and the incident was quickly contained. A man was shot by armed police and died at the scene. Six men were injured and remain in hospital for treatment, including a 42-year-old police officer.
The other victims were men aged 17, 18, 20, 38 and 53.

he latest statement from Police Scotland reads: “Police Constable David Whyte, who was injured in the incident in West George Street on Friday 26 June, is now in a stable condition in the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital.

“Three other people who were injured were asylum seekers staying at the Park Inn Hotel, where the incident took place, and the other two people who were injured were hotel staff.

“All of them remain in hospital. One is critical but stable, and two are stable, at Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

“Two others are in stable conditions at the QEYH.”

David Whyte, 42, raced to the scene of the knife rampage at around 1pm. He is thought to have been the first officer to arrive at the Park Inn Hotel on West George Street – two minutes after the attack began.

Sources said he had had been stabbed repeatedly as he tried to overpower the knifeman and save other victims. Medics described his condition as ‘critical but stable’ and his family are understood to be by his bedside.

Nicola Sturgeon praised PC Whyte’s heroic actions: While such a serious incident is rare in Scotland it is another reminder of the courage and professionalism of our police officers who are willing to run towards danger in order to protect the lives of others.

The knifeman had complained he was “very hungry” amid “poor conditions” in the hotel during the coronavirus crisis before embarking on a rampage.

Asylum seekers living in the Park Inn Hotel were living on less than £5-a-day before the attacker, from Sudan, went mad and attacked people around him.

He was shot by armed officers who arrived at the scene within two minutes, a Police Scotland spokesman said.